Tonight I went to my first support group meeting. It another meetup thing. Who knew that Wednesdays are Wacky Wednesdays at Baker’s Square? Really – a free piece of pie with any (ANY) order. Oy vey – a small cup of chili and a free piece of pie to boot.
Enough about the pie.
The people were so nice, thoughtful and supportive (in a support group way). Everybody shared their stories; custody issues, ex-spouses with pregnant girlfriends, ex-spouses who refuse to spend time with their children, financial problems, house problems…
Here’s what I learned:
1. I am incredibly lucky to not have children children.
2. I am incredibly lucky to have a career and to be able to support myself.
3. Everybody has the same problem with the house. Not who gets it, but who gets stuck with it because nobody can sell.
4. Thirty years is a long time to be married, and it makes my divorce thirty-year-painful, but I am fortunate that we had the good times that we had and can now go our separate ways and focus on ourselves.
5. Everybody, EVERYBODY, has the same “how the hell could I have been married to this person?” moments that I have had.
And, all over free pie. Win-win.